North East 25m Championships at Ponds Forge Sheffield
What a jam-packed weekend of racing at Ponds Forge for Darlington’s NER Qualifiers. A total of 13 swimmers made the journey and swam in a total of 70 events. The venue splits its 50m pool into two 25m pools to allow both competitions to run alongside each other.
Well done to all DASC swimmers who achieved qualifying times. A few of the swimmers who attended did not swim all the events they qualified in and unfortunately there were some rejections which meant some of our Age Group swimmers who did qualify could not compete in their events. Well done to those swimmers and be proud of yourselves for achieving a qualifying time.
Age Group Competition
Four swimmers from Top and A1 squads entered 29 events. All four swimmers swam extremely well and should be very proud of their achievements. Each event operated as heat declared winners and two of our Age group swimmers won Gold winning themselves the accolade of Regional Champion in their respective events, so a massive well done!
Harry Whitfield entered 10 events securing an amazing 5 podium finishes in the 13-year category;
- North East Regional Champion – Gold in 800m Freestyle
- Silver – 1500m Freestyle
- Silver – 400m Freestyle
- Silver – 200m Freestyle
- Bronze – 100m Freestyle
William Oliver also had an extremely busy weekend entering 11 events and securing 6 podium finishes in the 11-year category;
- North East Regional Champion – Gold 50m breaststroke
- Silver – 100m Breaststroke
- Bronze – 100m Fly
- Bronze – 100m IM
- Bronze – 50m Freestyle
- Bronze – 50m Back
Well done to all Age groups swimmers.
Nine swimmers from Top Squad entered a total of 41 events. All swimmers swam against some
tough competition and should be proud of their achievements.
- Lewis Kestle swam an amazing 100m backstroke (1.01.84) which not only won him a position in the final in 9th but secured him his 2nd qualifying time for Scottish Nationals. Backing up his 100m backstroke was an even stronger 50m Backstroke, in a time of 28.38 seconds. This won him a place in the final in 8th place, a 3rd Scottish National qualifying time and a qualifying time for Swim England Winter Nationals which is an amazing achievement.
- Alex Morton swam another fabulous 200m Fly knocking more time off his very recent personal best and going under the 2.20.00 barrier. This qualified him for the final in 9th place. He also swam a fantastic 100 IM which secured his 2nd qualifying time for Scottish Nationals.
- Niamh Kay made two 16/under finals over the weekend, 100m Breaststroke and 50m Breaststroke. Niamh finished in 2nd place in 50m Breaststroke with a time of 34.98.
Well done to all Open swimmers!